Project's technical objectives
- Development of a rolling High Power Ultrasound (HPU) sensor, able to identify discontinuities in soil homogeneity
- Design of semi-autonomous remote controlled vehicle which will incorporate a DGPS system, accelerometer and absolute orientation sensors. The vehicle must have impact and weather resistant chassis and will be able to move on irregular soils.
- Design of an array of SAW sensors that will be able to detect organic solvents and NAPLs pollution
- Software to process and model the data obtained, through data cross correlation and fusion, offering as output a 3D mapping of soil pollution in the observed area.
- Development of a signal processing toolbox incorporated in a man-machine interface, that will provide a comprehensive set of reference-standard algorithms and graphical tools for image processing, analysis, visualization, and algorithm development, such as image enhancement, image deblurring, noise reduction, spatial transformations and image registration.
- Development of optical fibre chemical sensors which will be able to measure humidity, pH of the soil and the concentrations of heavy metal pollutants in real time.